Sunday, September 7, 2008

Ronald and Martha, circa 1930


I have a very few pictures of my dad as a child, like this one with his sister, wearing coats, but I can't imagine why. They lived in South Florida, where winters rarely required more than sweaters. They were the fifth and sixth of eight children, so it is hard to imagine there having been money enough for luxuries like coats. They do look sharp, though, in their 1930's haircuts, my dad's arm around his sister's shoulder. He was no doubt trying to keep her still for the camera. He kept that arm around others' shoulders all of his life, hoping to keep them out of harm's way.

1 comment:

the mama said...

I never thought about the oddity of the coats in that pic! why are they wearing coats?? you should write a story about it!

About Me

My photo
I used to be a teacher but now I'm just trying to be a learner of life.